Infosecurity Europe 2019
Infosecurity Europe 2019, otherwise known as Infosec, starts this week. In preparing with our team here at Forescout, I’ve been looking at the program of events. More than ever it looks like speakers are going to talk about how to mitigate business problems to the technologists that will be attending. This is really exciting as Information Technology leadership is now more aligned than ever to the business. We’re already seeing the trend for corporate boards to ask tough questions about cyber risk. Now the conferences are discussing how to improve the process and business-level cyber hygiene vs just talking about bits and bytes, packets or frames or esoteric configuration best practices. It’s the signs of a true organizational shift of making cybersecurity part of everyone’s responsibility.
I’ll be walking around and talking with vendors on the show floor. Another chance to see some new/evolved approaches to solving problems. These are the questions I will be asking:
- Does the vendor solve a specific business process? If not, how do you impact or address a business problem?
- Does your solution consolidate multiple tools? If not, what value or insight does your technology do to save time in an incident?
- Does your tool streamline the complex process? Is this process cross-functional or verticalized?
- How does your tool allow any operator or over-arching team to save time?
- Does your tool require specific skills to use? How long is the training to be a certified operator?
These questions give you the perspective to evolve your own plans for business problems and align to cyber risk for your business. I know these are the same type of questions your executives ask me or get asked by their board members.
If you see me walking around, stop by and say hello. Also, be sure to swing by the Forescout booth, stand D90. They’ll have all sorts of goodies and will be talking about real business solutions to address today’s evolving security landscape.
For more of my musings on all things cyber, click here.