Feature Film (<3min.)
- Industry: Enterprise Security Infrastructure
- Solution: Real-time Network Security Platform
- Customers: over 1400 installations in 37 countries
- Markets: Financial services, federal government and defense, healthcare, manufacturing, education, retail, legal, entertainment and service providers
- Awards: Gartner, Inc. NAC 2012 and 2011 Magic Quadrant – Leader Quadrant; Frost & Sullivan Global NAC Technology Innovation Award 2012; The Forrester Wave™: Network Access Control, Q2 2011 – Leader Position; SC Magazine 2012 “Best NAC” Reader Trust Award Winner and NAC Group Test Best Buy, The Tolly Group – Certified 2012, 2012 Red Herring Top 100 Global Tech Startups, 2012 GSN Homeland Security Awards “Best Continuous Compliance”, CC EAL 4+ Certification.
- Founded: 2000 (privately held, profitable 2H-10)
- Growth: In excess of 44% YOY
- Employees: 185+
- Locations: Campbell (HQ), Tel Aviv (R&D), London and Hong Kong
- CEO: Gord Boyce
- Key investors: Accel Partners, Amadeus Capital Partners, Meritech Capital Partners and Pitango Venture Capital
ForeScout delivers pervasive network security by allowing organizations to continuously monitor and mitigate security exposures and cyber attacks. The company’s CounterACT appliance dynamically identifies and assesses all network users, endpoints and applications to provide complete visibility, intelligence and policy-based mitigation of security issues. ForeScout’s open ControlFabric technology allows a broad range of IT security products and management systems to share information and automate remediation actions.
ForeScout’s products are designed to solve the four biggest systemic problems facing enterprise IT security managers:
Challenge 1: Inadequate visibility to all endpoints on the network
Most enterprises have experienced significant growth in endpoint computing devices such as smartphones and tablets over the last few years. This is compounded by the fact that the number of organizations with some type of BYOD program is expected to nearly double over the next three to five years. Even with formal policies in place, many organizations know only a subset of the varied devices that are being used on the corporate network.
Challenge 2: Lack of real-time information about endpoint vulnerabilities
Traditional vulnerability assessment systems are based on scans that are performed at some set frequency, e.g. daily. Without a real-time view of endpoint status and security posture, organizations have no idea how to analyze, measure, or remediate IT risk. The need for real-time information is so great that the U.S. Federal Government now demands continuous monitoring from all its agencies, and private organizations are also following this trend.
Challenge 3: Lack of coordination between security products, which has led to silos of information
These silos are a natural consequence of the tendency for enterprises to purchase new solutions to solve new problems, for example: MDM system to solve the mobile device security problem; advanced threat detection (ATD) systems to solve weaknesses in traditional antimalware products. Surveys of IT security managers indicate that this is a major problem. Large organizations want to move in the direction of integrated intelligence, policy management and control systems to improve risk management, incident detection/responses, and security automation.
Challenge 4: Lack of automation to respond quickly to advanced threats and newly discovered vulnerabilities
When targeted threats cannot be rapidly discovered and mitigated, they have time to perform network reconnaissance, credentials harvesting, privilege escalation, and data exfiltration. To respond quickly to these attacks, CISOs need more automation between the systems that can detect infections or vulnerabilities and the systems that can remediate the problems.
The Answer – ForeScout CounterACT and ControlFabric
ForeScout CounterACT is a proven, enterprise-scale network security solution that has been adopted by over 1500 enterprises and government organizations. CounterACT natively addresses the first two problems (real-time visibility and continuous monitoring) by identifying and assessing all network users, endpoints and applications in real-time. CounterACT shares this information with other security and management systems that interoperate via ForeScout’s open ControlFabric Technology. This reduces the problem of information silos. Finally, CounterACT brings real-time control and automated remediation to IT security systems that heretofore have been limited to collecting, generating, analyzing or storing information (e.g. SIEM, ATP).
ForeScout CounterACT allows IT organizations to readily understand and control how all users, systems and devices, including mobile devices and VMs, access network resources and applications. Once you configure your security policies within CounterACT, the system automatically:
- enforces network access policy
- controls mobile and personal device access
- eliminates network intrusion threats
- finds and fixes gaps in endpoint security
- ForeScout’s CounterACT is fast, flexible and easy for administrators to deploy, manage and maintain. Everything is contained within a single appliance that seamlessly integrates into your existing environment, offering day-one results with no changes to your network.
ForeScout CounterACT forms the foundation for ControlFabric — an open technology that enables ForeScout CounterACT and other solutions to exchange information and resolve a wide variety of network, security and operational issues.
CounterACT includes a range of ControlFabric integrations at no extra charge. These base integrations link CounterACT to network infrastructure (switches, wireless controllers, VPN, routers, directories), endpoints (Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, printers, other devices), Windows update systems (SCCM), and a wide range of software that typically runs on endpoints (antivirus, instant messaging, WMI, etc.). These out-of-the-box ControlFabric integrations give IT managers tremendous power to:
- discover and classify endpoints
- track users and applications
- assess security posture
- control network access
- enforce endpoint compliance policy
- fix security gaps such as broken endpoint security agents
Extended ControlFabric integrations are available in the form of modules that ForeScout has developed and sell. Modules are available for integration with SIEM, MDM, Advanced Threat Detection (ATP), Endpoint Protection Systems and MDM systems.