Cupertino, Calif. — December 10, 2012 — Forescout Technologies, Inc., a leading provider of automated security control solutions for Fortune 1000 enterprises and government organizations, today announced that it has been positioned in the “Leaders” quadrant of Gartner, Inc.’s 2012 “Magic Quadrant for Network Access Control.”1 The Magic Quadrant analysis is based on Gartner’s assessment of a company’s completeness of vision and ability to execute.
According to Gartner’s “Magic Quadrant for Network Access Control”2, “the BYOD trend continues to be the major driver in NAC adoption. NAC vendors must have flexible approaches (partnerships and/or internally developed capabilities) for enforcing policies on the use of personally owned devices. Mobility and bring your own device (BYOD) trends have increased demand, and the largest NAC suppliers have seen strong increases in growth. Driven by these trends, we expect market growth of approximately 63 percent in 2013, as businesses are spending on mobile device management (MDM) and NAC as the primary means for meeting demand of personally owned smartphones and tablets, while containing risks.”
In this report3, leaders are successful in selling large NAC implementations (10,000 nodes and greater) to multiple large enterprises. Leaders are pure-play NAC vendors or networking and/or security companies that have been first to market with enhanced capabilities as the market matures. Leaders have the resources to maintain their commitment to NAC, have strong channel strength and have financial resources. They have also demonstrated a strong understanding of the future direction of NAC, including the impact of BYOD. Leaders should not equate to a default choice for every buyer, and clients should not assume that they must buy only from vendors in the Leaders’ quadrant.
“Forescout is experiencing fantastic growth due to tremendous demand for network access control, mobile security and endpoint compliance. We believe that being named by Gartner as a NAC market leader reaffirms what our customers and partners have been telling us – we have the best, enterprise-class NAC platform,” said Gord Boyce, CEO of Forescout Technologies. “Once IT organizations see the real-time visibility and automated control that the CounterACT platform provides, they quickly realize our distinct advantages, value and broad application for our next-generation NAC.”
According to Gartner4, the knowledge and experience gained in establishing and enforcing network access control (NAC) policies for corporate-owned laptops can be extended to apply policies for personally owned devices. A combination of NAC and MDM can enable a flexible BYOD environment with an acceptable level of risk for many organizations. NAC can be used to check for the presence of an MDM agent. Endpoints that do not have the agent can be blocked or granted limited access (for example, Internet access only). NAC can ensure that employees must comply with MDM policies if they wish to gain access to the corporate network. Building operational processes (for example, automating mobile device registration) is key to scaling a BYOD project.
Forescout CounterACT is an automated security control platform that allows you to see and control everything that is connected to the network – enabling companies to let employees and guests seamlessly use personal devices on the network without compromising security. Delivered as a fully integrated appliance (physical or virtual), CounterACT is simple to deploy as it requires no agents and leverages the existing network. CounterACT key features include:
- Hybrid NAC Platform – An integrated physical or virtual appliance that delivers both 802.1X and agentless NAC functionality, endpoint configuration, security intelligence and dynamic remediation. By working with a company’s existing network, security, identity and wireless infrastructure, CounterACT offers the easiest, fastest and most flexible deployment, and the most efficient means to manage wired and wireless, managed and personal PCs and mobile devices.
- Broadest BYOD and MDM Support – CounterACT provides real-time user and mobile device identification and policy enforcement without requiring agents. Forescout Mobile Module offers more granular visibility and enforcement for iOS and Android devices. Forescout Mobile Integration Module integrates with third-party MDM solutions such as Fiberlink, and soon, AirWatch and MobileIron. Forescout MDM offers a complete, cloud-based mobile device lifecycle management.
- Roles-based Access Control – Broad policy and enforcement options based on user role, directory-integration and device profile, as well as rich guest registration functionality.
- Endpoint Compliance – Automated, built-in and extensible security controls allow you to see and control everything that is connected to the network – users, devices, systems, mobile and applications. Beyond identification, the solution finds and fixes endpoint configuration and security issues.
- Scalability and Manageability – A single CounterACT console is capable of managing more than 250,000 endpoints, and one physical or virtual appliance can manage 10,000 endpoints. Leveraging the CounterACT Enterprise Manager, service providers can offer mid-tier, large and government enterprises the CounterACT platform as a private or hybrid cloud-based service.
- Government Approved – As a Common Criteria EAL 4+ level certified solution, CounterACT facilitates federal organizations’ efforts to satisfy port control and continuous compliance mandates.
To receive a complimentary copy of the Gartner, Inc. “Magic Quadrant for Network Access Control,” visit http://resources.forescout.com/gartner.html. To get more information about Forescout’s CounterACT for network access control (NAC), visit us online, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 1.866.377.8771.
Tweet This: Forescout named a leader in Gartner “Magic Quadrant for Network Access Control” http://hub.am/YLgU7Q
About the Magic Quadrant
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in our research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
About Forescout Technologies, Inc.
Forescout enables organizations to accelerate productivity and connectivity by allowing users to access corporate network resources where, how and when needed without compromising security. Forescout’s automated solutions for network access control, mobile security, endpoint compliance and threat prevention empower IT agility while preempting risks and eliminating remediation costs. Because the Forescout CounterACT platform is easy to deploy, unobtrusive, intelligent and scalable, it has been chosen by more than 1,300 of the world’s most secure enterprises and military installations for global deployments spanning 37 countries. Headquartered in Cupertino, California, Forescout delivers its solutions through its network of authorized partners worldwide. Learn more at www.forescout.com.
1,2, 3 Gartner, Inc. “Magic Quadrant for Network Access Control,” report G00238941, December 3, 2012, Lawrence Orans, John Pescatore.
4 Gartner, Inc. “Securing BYOD with Network Access Control,” report G00226207, August 2012, Lawrence Orans.
Forescout Technologies, Inc. is a privately held Delaware corporation. Forescout, the Forescout logo, CounterACT and ActiveResponse are trademarks of Forescout. Other names mentioned may be trademarks of their respective owners.