— Philip Egeberg, IT Security Administrator, Daktronics
- Daktronics, the world leader in the design, manufacture, and installation of digital billboards, scoreboards and large-format LED displays, employs 2,500 people worldwide.
- The company’s network spans several countries, 26 remote offices and over 7500 endpoints.
- They wanted visibility to both managed and unmanaged computers, unauthorized devices including mobile devices, and anything else touching the network.
- They wanted a tool that would help them efficiently identify non-compliant computers and other devices which violated security policy or represented security threats.
- ForeScout CounterACT proved to be the best choice for Daktronics because it is clientless, meaning that it can detect everything on the network without any software installation.
- Six CounterACT appliances were installed at the core of Daktronics’ network. The appliances monitor and control all endpoints throughout the enterprise — the three main offices and the 26 remote sites.
- CounterACT’s built-in, behavior-based Intrusion Prevention System (IPS), won Daktronics’ praises for its effectiveness in identifying and stopping malware.
“We wanted to ensure that our antivirus (AV) was running and up-to-date,” he adds. “The same with the personal firewall.”
- Complete Visibility
“The technicians love using ForeScout CounterACT’s asset inventory,” says Egeberg, who sees this function as a valuable time saver. “When Help Desk receives a call, they can simply type in the username or computer name, and instantly they know which applications and services are running.” Egeberg emphasizes the usefulness of the Inventory tab, which reveals which ports, processes, applications and Windows services or versions are installed. “The visibility it provides is phenomenal. It’s also helpful to be able to see external devices like personal mobile devices such as iPhone, iPad and thumb drives.”
- Endpoint Compliance
ForeScout CounterACT indicates which computers on the Daktronics network are running prohibited software or out-of-date applications. They use CounterACT for this function rather than Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) or Systems Management Server (SMS) because those tools do not provide comprehensive information about the endpoint. ForeScout CounterACT has allowed Daktronics to improve compliance with antivirus to 99%, meaning that 99% of the machines on the network have up-to-date antivirus.
- Cost Savings
Egeberg points out that CounterACT is not just a security tool, but an operations tool that can be used to fix registry settings remotely, among other tasks. It offers a more cost-effective solution for NAC, mobile security and endpoint compliance that overcomes the complexity, administrative burden and limitations of network infrastructure and endpoint protection approaches.
“When our Help Desk gets a call, for example to troubleshoot a printing issue, they can type in the user name or computer name. CounterACT will instantly tell the Help Desk agent what printer is connected to the computer, what hardware they have, what applications and services are running on the system. This saves time and money. We estimate that ForeScout CounterACT has made our Help Desk operation much more efficient.”